Car Accident Injury

If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident, you may be able to claim for your injuries, depending on your role in the accident.

A 'Motor accident" can include collisions between cars, buses or motorcycles but may also apply to injuries arising from incidents involving forklifts, trains, quad bikes or similar.

Generally, anyone injured as a result of a motor accident is entitled to claim for their injuries, however, to bring a claim it is necessary to establish that the injury arose as a result of the negligence or breach of duty of care by the owner or driver of the vehicle involved.  There are also special considerations in the legislation for children and for "blameless accidents".  In these cases you will need legal advice to determine whether or not you can claim.

The amount of compensation for a car accident which you may be entitled to will depend on a number of matters for example:

  • the nature and extent of your injury
  • the amount of time you have had off work to indicate your loss of wages and earnings
  • your ability to work in the future
  • the type of medical treatment you need and the cost of that treatment
  • whether you need help around the home as a result of your injury

If you have been involved in a car accident you MUST:

  • report it to the Police within 28 days; and
  • complete a Personal Injury Claim Form within 6 months of the injury.

If you haven't done these within the timeframes, please contact us as we may be able to assist you to get your claim back on track.

It can be a difficult time for you and your family and you may have other rights under workers compensation, superannuation or income protection policies so it is best to consult with someone who specialises in the field.

We at KELLS can help you receive the compensation you deserve.